Adfree Cities is a network of groups across the UK who are concerned about the impacts of corporate advertising on our health, wellbeing, environment, climate, communities and the local economy. We lobby for policy change at national and local levels, showcase alternatives, organise locally to stop new advertising sites in UK cities, and produce resources to raise awareness about the impacts of commercial advertising.
We want happier, healthier cities free from the pressures of corporate outdoor advertising. Consumerism drives climate and ecological breakdown, harms wellbeing and undermines local resilience. Together we will empower communities to create alternatives. Our movement will keep big brand advertising out of public places. We will make space for what we need to thrive: community connection, solidarity, public art and nature.
See our shared values.
What we do
- Hold the line: We stop new advertising sites in our cities. We support residents and community groups to oppose planning applications for new digital billboards.
- Positive alternatives: We showcase arts, nature and ad-free space as positive alternatives to corporate advertising.
- Movement building: We produce resources and organise events to raise awareness about the impacts of corporate advertising on mental health, wellbeing, environmental damage, climate breakdown, body image and the local economy.
- Lobby for change: We engage in a constructive dialogue with councils about sites they control and changing policies. We explore opportunities for change at a national level, including working with partners on joint campaigns.
How to get involved
- Join our mailing list to keep in touch with the campaign.
- Got a campaign idea? Check our ‘How to Create Adfree Cities‘ pages for ideas on how to get started!
- Check out our Get Involved page to find your local group, and our Resources page for information on starting your own group.
- See our blog for all the latest information and calls to action.
- Donate to Adfree Cities and support the campaign!
Who we are
Adfree Cities is supported by a team of four part time staff based in Bristol. We support a network of voluntary groups across the UK who are challenging corporate outdoor advertising in their own unique ways in their own cities. You can read more about our groups on the Get Involved pages.
We currently receive funding from the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust.